Strawberry Paletas with Balsamic and Lemon
Original recipe courtesy of Paletas by Fany Gerson. Adapted by The Paddington Foodie
4 cups of fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Freshly grated zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Combine strawberries, lemon, balsamic vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Let the mixture sit until the strawberries start to release their natural juices (20-30 minutes).
- Place strawberry mixture in a saucepan with water over medium heat. Simmer until the strawberries start to slightly soften. (about 5 minutes). Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor, add the lemon juice and puree to your preferred consistency – slightly chunky or smooth.
- If using conventional moulds, divide the mixture evenly among the moulds, snap on the lid, insert the ice cream sticks and freeze until solid, about 5 hours.
- If using glasses or other unconventional molds, freeze until the paletas are nearly set then insert the ice cream sticks and freeze until solid, about 4-5 hours