Rice Pudding Paletas
Original recipe courtesy of Paletas by Fany Gerson. Adapted by The Paddington Foodie
1/2 cup short or medium grain rice
3 cups whole milk
2/3 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
1 cinnamon quill
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Combine the rice, milk, cream, half the sugar and the cinnamon quill in a large saucepan. Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the pan then add the pod.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Lower the heat. Add the remaining sugar and continue to simmer for 45 minutes until the rice is tender, stirring often so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Discard the vanilla bean pod and cinnamon quill and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Transfer half the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (don’t worry if there are still some bits of rice remaining).
- Pour the puree back into the mixture, stir thoroughly and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- If using conventional moulds, divide mixture evenly among moulds, snap on lid, insert ice cream sticks and freeze until solid, about 5 hours.
- If using glasses or other unconventional moulds, freeze until paletas are almost set then insert ice cream sticks and freeze until solid.