Roasted Banana Paleta with Grated Chocolate
Original recipe courtesy of Paletas by Fany Gerson. Adapted by The Paddington Foodie
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
50 grams grated chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180C. Wrap the bananas (with their skins still on) individually in foil. Roast until cooked through and soft (use tongs to test).
- Leave to rest until roasted bananas are cool enough to handle.
- Discard the skins and put the flesh in a bowl. Mash the flesh slightly with a fork.
- Add the brown and granulated sugars to the bananas, and stir until the sugars have dissolved.
- Put the banana mixture in a blender. Add the milk, cream, vanilla, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt and blend until smooth. Let cool slightly and then refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Stir in the grated chocolate.
- If using conventional moulds, evenly divide the mixture among the moulds, snap on lid, inset the ice cream sticks and freeze for about 5 hours.
- If using glasses or unconventional moulds, freeze until the paletas are beginning to set, then insert the ice cream sticks and freeze until solid, 4-5 hours